Let's Talk Thursday: Episode 11



Hello Awesome Visitors!

Let's talk for a minute.

Disclaimer:  Before we go on, I want to let you know on these topics, I'm no expert. I am just speaking on my own experiences or those by others.


One of the things I do in my past time is to read.  Before I check out something to read, I always like to take a good look at the reviews posted on a particular work. 


One of my fellow authors told me to check out the reviews done on this work called "Phantasy."  When I asked why, she was like, "Because I've never seen anything like it."


That she was definitely right on.  There was an equal ratio of five stars than there were one stars, which is kind of rare when you think about it.  Usually there are quite a few people in the 4 to 5 star range and a handful of 1 stars.  Or a lot of 1 stars and only a handful of 4 to 5 stars.




So I checked out the reviews and there was a particular line pointed out in this work that got me to thinking.  It was pointed out by more than one reviewer, so I wanted to see if it was really valid.  Luckily my writer friend loaned it to me.  I did a search and sure enough the following line came up in the manuscript (directly from Phantasy as written):

 “I think I must now start writing fake reviews for my own sake to pull in visitors-coz I’m not getting any real ones from anybody, so?…Can’t let my ambition die such a natural death! I CAN’T! MUST DO FAKE REVIEWS NOW!…”


Since the narrator of the work didn't have a name and  the very long Author's Note went in great lengths to say that the "author and narrator are not the same person", it immediately raised red flags with me. 


1.  Why would one even write the statement about "fake reviews" in the first place? 

2.  Why would the author go through so much trouble to try and convince the reader that he and the narrator are not the same person?  

You know what they say about those who protest too much.

Then I got to thinking: How easy is it to get someone to write a great review on your work, even if he or she has never read it?

It's scary when you realize that it isn't that hard to find.  I'm not talking about friends and family.  I'm talking about outside services that do this type of thing, some for the cost of what one would pay for a combo meal at Wendy's.

I know writers want positive reviews but is it really worth damaging the ethical compass?




I personally think not.

What says the rest of you?


Until next time,

Desire

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Show Me (Behind the Stuntin')

Let's Talk Thursday: Episode 7

Sweet Dream