Let's Talk Thursday: Episode 7



Hello Awesome Visitors!

Let's talk for a minute.

Disclaimer:  Before we go on, I want to let you know on these topics, I'm no expert. I am just speaking on my own experiences or those by others.

Let's get to it.

Confession:  I absolutely hate Marketing.  I'm not saying that I don't like to meet new people and interact with them.  I'm becoming a wee bit frustrated because what I put out isn't being returned to me.

I currently have my regular Facebook page completely public.  As long as someone doesn't cause a ruckus, I have no problem accepting anyone's friend request.

When people send me requests to like their pages, I stop by and give it a like.  I have not discriminated on my liking practices either.

I figure it in this way:  I'll have it set up this way until I'm given a reason not to.

I stop by people's spots and say hi, and even want to get involved in dialogue.  It's a social network, yet no one seems like they want to talk.  They are caught up in promoting and pushing product.  What ever happened to an actual conversation that had absolutely nothing with buying, retweeting, or reviewing?  Am I the only one that wants to build actual connections?

Another thing I don't get is the expectation that if you are the "new writer on the block", you have to give everything away for FREE?

I have two works, "Kona" (my micro short) and "Simmer Sweet" (short story) that are absolutely FREE.  I don't mind giving those for free and I have every intention of keeping those free.

However, Delectable Things is over 9,600 words.  The plot and action is pretty drawn out.  I had a promo where the first 100 people got it for FREE but after that it's .99 cents.

You can rarely get something to drink for .99 cents much less something to read.  I get that Delectable Things is a "novelette" but it's not worth it to check out now that there's a price point?  I feel like this: If you get it and don't like it, you can always return it to Amazon.

If I continue to give out things for FREE, then people will constantly expect it.  To expect that from me (or any other writer) isn't fair.  If a person believes in a person's talent, he/she will purchase it at no matter what price point.  I'm still a believer in this and will not waver because people think that a new writer needs to give out all their titles for FREE all the flipping time!

How do you guys feel?  For the newcomer, is there an unspoken requirement to give out works for FREE on a consistent basis?

Until next time,

Desire

Comments

  1. THAT is precisely the stuff that infuriates me!! I mean it really lights a fire in my ass!! It just doesn't make any sense to me. Who do these people think they are, that they would have the cojones to EXPECT everything for free??
    I mean, when they got to Walmart, they can't leave the store with a free item. The item is tagged with a price and that's the price they pay. When they go food shopping they can't haggle the prices with the cashiers. No. They pick their food and pay the price that is marked or they get no food!!

    Why is our art any different?!? We put our blood, sweat and tears into what we do, yet the general public thinks it's just okay to be like, "Hey, I want your work for free. So, either I get it for free or I won't read!" Dude, I rather you don't read it!

    The kicker here is that these very same people that want it free, don't even have the common curtsey to leave a dog-on review!!

    Then there are those people that won't "network" with you UNLESS you "Like/Follow/Subscribe" to their page. And then what they call "networking", I call "pushing" because they are by no means establishing genuine conversation with you. All they are doing is pushing their books on you.
    My thought on that is, "Dude, you want me to buy YOUR book, YOU BUY MINE and maybe we'll have a deal!"
    Maybe that's being selfish. But I would be more inclined to buy someone's book if I had an actual relationship with them--even if it is strictly online.

    Bottom line:
    Make a friend, sell a book! Feel me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. People be some cheap ass mutha fuckas! I say stick to your guns. If you don't want to give everything away for free then you shouldn't have to. Besides how would your publisher make any money if all your stuff keeps being given for free? Tell 'em to suck Adonis' sack!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ROFL!!! I'm sorry, but this is funny as hell!! I should probably be mad, but I just can't!! Too damn funny D, too damn funny!!
      And on that note.... I concur!! :D

      Delete
    2. Thanks for your comments everyone.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Show Me (Behind the Stuntin')

Sweet Dream