Let's Talk Thursday: Episode 10



Hello Awesome Visitors!

Let's talk for a minute.

Disclaimer:  Before we go on, I want to let you know on these topics, I'm no expert. I am just speaking on my own experiences or those by others.



For the past two weeks, I've been sitting back and reflecting.  I haven't been online that much but it's amazing how many (or how few) people actually noticed.  I thought the whole purpose of social media were to make connections that weren't normally possible by any other means.

Yet it appears (at least to me) the more accessibility people have to each other, the less that this medium is being used efficiently.

People seem to have forgotten how to conduct conversations .  More often than not, you see messages that are passed along and shared.  Yet there are times when I wonder if people actually read anything before they share it. 

In addition, you also see a lot of marketing in the form of inviting people to like pages or advertising one's book.  I'm not hating on doing advertising or marketing on one's Facebook Author Page or even in groups, but is there anything left to talk about on the Facebook personal page once that's gone?

I do want to get to know others which is why I have my Facebook personal page set to public.  But people do not take advantage of the open door I am giving them.  Instead, I get hit up with "support this", "like this": stuff they could easily send me messages about on my Author Page.

Can you ask how a person is doing or feeling?  Can you inquire as to why I haven't been around much in about two weeks?  No, human interaction is void. 

But if there was no computer screen in play, to come across in such a telemarketing fashion would be considered rude.

I am the type that wants to see the good in people but my observations are causing my vision to become jaded.  Has cooperation been taken over by competition?  Are all mentions of congratulations and support really cosmetic and without meaning?  When people ask me to like their page, is it mainly because they value my support or they just want to show high numbers?

The moral of the story is: If a person just takes five minutes to be a human instead of a non-stop marketing machine, perhaps he or she will get networking that is of quality and longevity.

Until next time,

Desire

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let's Talk Thursday: Episode 7

Show Me (Behind the Stuntin')

Let's Talk Thursdays: My Fire Defined