Let's Talk Thursday: Episode 9



Hello Awesome Visitors!

Let's talk for a minute.

Disclaimer:  Before we go on, I want to let you know on these topics, I'm no expert. I am just speaking on my own experiences or those by others.

There was a very telling post on C. Desert Rose's blog a few days ago.  To sum it all up, there were two traditionally published authors that she recognized who managed to make Indie Author Land's 50 Self Published Books Worth Reading list.  Rose couldn't understand how this was possible.  The response she received from Indie Author Land itself was less than satisfactory.



In my opinion, Rose didn't put up the post to start any trouble.  She did it because she wants genuine interaction and feedback from others in regards to the issue.  Yet with the exception of a handful, she's been met with silence.

Silence can speak more volumes than words:

One, it could mean that people really don't care.

Two, it could mean that it is happening but people don't want to address it.

Three, it could mean that it is happening but it's becoming more accepted.

Or a combination of all three.

Either way, it's not a good look.  If you can just stick with me a little longer I will tell you why.

For me, not really caring is the worse scenario.  It's a worse reaction than anger and acceptance.  For me, I would rather someone tell me they like or dislike something than not tell me anything.

In the second one, people are turning a blind eye.  It's like a pile of dung with flies swarming around it.  Everyone sees it but no one wants to step up and clean it up.  With the situation Rose spoke on, she is exposing the possibility that traditional publishers are infiltrating spots that are supposed to be primarily or solely focused on the indie market.  But no one is speaking up on it.

In the third one, everyone is aware of this but saying it's okay.  I can't exactly cosign on this.  There are so many of my author friends who are indie.  They have challenges in regards to finding places where they can promote their works without battling with traditionally published people.  Now, I'm not talking about those who have decided to take their name and create a name that looks like a publisher.  I'm talking about a publisher that has people under one's stable and getting traditional like royalties.

The lines can't be this blurred.  Either you are one or the other.

Speaking as a traditionally published author, I recognize there are certain things that I cannot do because of that title.  I can't go on an indie list and put my book in as an indie author because I'm not.  I don't think that is fair since there are so many truly indie authors out there.  Right is right.  Fair is fair.  As long as everyone plays fair, there should be no disruption.

Just too bad that these qualities are becoming more and more steeped in fantasy.

Until next time,

Desire


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Show Me (Behind the Stuntin')

Let's Talk Thursday: Episode 7

Sweet Dream