Let's Talk Thursday: Episode 6





Hello Awesome Visitors!

Let's talk for a minute.

Disclaimer:  Before we go on, I want to let you know on these topics, I'm no expert. I am just speaking on my own experiences or those by others.

Let's get to it.

One of the things my publisher has told me is the importance of networking.  I decided to join a few Facebook groups.  I'm taking things one step at a time and very content with the few I've been exposed to so far.  I'm not certain how I feel about automatically getting added to stuff but that's a whole different topic for another "Let's Talk".

One of the people in the group shared the reviews she received from Blue Ink Review and Kirkus.  From what I gather, there is a great deal of recognition in association with those two names.  That's not what made me rub my chin.  What made me do so is the fact that:

(1)  She paid for the reviews.
(2)  The reviews were relatively short but lacked a whole lot of substance.

The cost was staggering (well over $300 for standard; if you want express think over $500)!  I don't know about the rest of you but that is a lot of cash for an author to fork over.  It's even worse if the review comes back and it turns out less than stellar.

Although some other places may not have the name recognition like Blue Ink Reviews and Kirkus quite a few are willing to provide honest quality reviews for FREE.  That is the thing about networking.  You never know who you may come across who performs that type of service.  

Put those hundreds of dollars towards other areas of the writing process, like a good looking cover and a quality proofreader and editor.  My heart really hurts for that author yet she probably isn't the only one going who has done this.  I am so glad I have wonderful guidance from my publisher and others along the way to really show me what to invest in and what to avoid.

Until next time,

Desire

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Show Me (Behind the Stuntin')

Let's Talk Thursday: Episode 7

Sweet Dream